Thursday, August 07, 2014

Making a House a Home: Plant Life


I know I have been MIA from the blog lately, but guys... I have so many exciting plans in the works for this blog, holy smokes! To kick things off for the month of August I have decided to show you some new plants we have added to make our new house feel like home. I'm really excited to share this with you. I will tell you right now that I have had the worst black thumb for a few years now, so investing in these new friends was something I knew I would have to work at and commit to.


Silver Jade
crassula marginalis rubra or "The Calico Kitty" and purple echeveria.
To help ease myself back into gardening, I decided to go with native plant life. Living in Arizona, that means succulents and cacti! I also heard that it is very hard to kill these kinds of plants, so that's an added bonus. Unfortunately during all of my potting excitement, I forgot to save the stickers with all the specimens names (whoops!) so I apologize for the unlabeled few.

pineapple head
Aloe
In all this madness, I even decided to try growing a pineapple plant with the top of one I bought at Sprouts last week. I truly hope it works because I would love to grow pineapple at home!

Jade and other succulents drying for propagation and a gafted cactus, or "Moon Cactus".
After bringing home and re-potting the new plants, I did some research on care for succulents. I realized that some of the plants I already had were getting leggy and needed to be clipped for propagation. I found Needles + Leaves to be very helpful, they even have a post about the subject and how to properly propagate your succulent friends!

Do you have any tips or tricks to share from your own gardening experiences? Please feel free to share them in a comment. Finally, have a great rest of your Tuesday!

XO,
Kass


No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting!
I love the feedback and getting to connect with you :)